26 September 2013
Sustainababy October Eco Challenge
This October Sustainababy is eco challenging YOU to HELP AUSTRALIAS NATIVE WILDLIFE.
Think of your favourite Australian native mammal or bird. Got it? Good. Now think of how you would feel if they were to become extinct. Not a pleasant thought is it? Uh uh uh.....don't think of something else just because that was too hard. Bring the picture of that native animal or bird to mind again because it is highly likely that if Australia continues as situation normal, the species you are currently thinking of may become extinct. Sooner than you think.
Australia is home to more biodiversity than any other developed nation on Earth, yet our wildlife is facing an extinction crisis.
Australia has the worst mammal extinction record in the world. 27 mammal species have become extinct in the past 200 years. Currently, more than 1,500 mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and plants are listed as threatened with extinction under Federal legislation (source: Australian Wildlife Conservancy).
Even if you live in deep dark suburbia in one of our larger cities you can do something about this crisis. The Sustainababy October Eco Challenge is your opportunity to start helping our native wildlife.
How you help is up to you but may include some of the following:
- Planting native shrubs in your garden to attract native birdlife.
- Erecting a cat-proof fence to confine your cat to your property (cats alone are responsible for much destruction to our native wildlife).
- Educating your children about our unique wildlife.
- Volunteering or donating money towards many of the non for profit organisations actively helping to conserve our wildlife.
Document your journey of discovery though the month for your chance to WIN an organic cotton and hemp "Black Cockatoo" Cross Body Fold Bag by Formosa Design valued at $119. With the ability to be worn three different ways, the Cross Body Fold Bag is the perfect accessory for busy eco mums.
Keen to do the Eco Challenge? This is what you’ll need to do:
- Request to join our closed Sustainababy Monthly Eco Challenge Group here
- For the month of October endeavour to Help Australia's Native Wildlife is as many different ways you can.
- Write a short summary of your journey (500 words maximum) and email your summary and photographs with subject line “October Eco Challenge” to firstname.lastname@example.org before midday AEST Wednesday 6th November. Please ensure your summary is grammatically correct as the winning summary will be published word for word.
- The winner will be contacted by email and their summary will be published on our blog no later than 5pm AEST Monday 11th November 2013.
So what are you waiting for? Get out there and give our native wildlife a helping hand!