26 March 2014
Drink Tap Water this April and WIN with Ecococoon
Earlier this month the City of San Francisco upped its eco cred by announcing a ban on the sale of plastic water bottles on city property.1 This move not only positioned the city as a leader in environmental issues, but it was a real step towards trying to achieve the city's target of disposing zero waste to landfill by 2020.
While the announcement has been met with mixed reaction, the message is clear. Consuming bottled water is not cool.
Australians, like our American friends, are huge consumers of bottled water. We have the luxury of quality tap water, possibly the best supply in the world, yet despite this, one in ten households report that bottled water is their main source of drinking water.2
At current bottled water consumption and plastic recycling rates, approximately 373 million plastic water bottles (or 16 bottles per person) are disposed to Australian landfills each year.3 That's a pretty shocking statistic given the bottled water industry only really launched in the 1990s!
While plastic bottles may not yet be banned in your town or city, this April we're eco challenging you to say NO to bottled water and drink tap water only. April is our TAP WATER IS EXTRAORDINARY month and we're giving you the opportunity to WIN one of two Ecococoon prize packs of four 18/8 stainless steel drinking bottles in your choice of sizes and styles to the value of $139.80.
You may already boycot bottled water and that's great! If that's the case, try and go an entire month without consuming any packaged / processed drinks at all. Organic juice, soft drink, cordials - the choice is yours! Every packaged drink you consume has a significant environmental footprint in the manufacture of the container, transport of the beverage and refrigeration and that's before any energy is spent actually making the beverage!
Keen to do the Eco Challenge? This is what you’ll need to do:
- Request to join our closed Sustainababy Monthly Eco Challenge Facebook Group here. In this group you'll meet heaps of other like-minded ecoceptional mums doing the eco challenges who can help you along the way.
- For the month of April recognise that Tap Water is Extraordinary and make an effort to drink it!
- If you'd like to be in the running one of the two Ecococoon stainless steel drink bottle prize packs, you will need to tell us how you said no to bottled water throughout April. You can either do this by (1) creating a video and posting the link on our Facebook page, (2) blogging about the Sustainababy April "Tap Water is Extraordinary" Eco Challenge on your personal Blog (and posting the link to our Facebook page) OR (3) emailing a short summary of your journey (500 words maximum) and supporting photographs with subject line "April Eco Challenge” to email@example.com before 5pm AEST Friday 9th May 2014. Please ensure your summary is grammatically correct as the winning summary will be published word for word on the Sustainababy Blog.
The winner will be contacted by email and their summary will be published on our blog no later than 5pm AEDST Monday 12th May 2014. Our May Eco Challenge is open to Australian and International residents however International followers may be required to pay for postage if they win.
1. The ban applies to bottles of 620ml or less in volume and sporting events are exempt from the ban.
2. Choice, Bottled Water, Accessed March 2014.
3. Do Something! Go Tap Initiative. Accessed March 2014.