29 December 2011
Christmas Leftover Recipe Ideas
By: Laura Trotta (BEng (Enviro), MSc (Enviro Chem))
As delicious as our Christmas Day feast was, it only took two days for me to become sick of eating cold turkey and ham. Freezing much of the surplus to enjoy over coming months, I also transformed some ham into this delicious, and oh-so-easy baked risotto recipe.
Leftover ham is also great in meals such as fried rice, omlettes, soups, fritters, pizzas, baked potatoes and toasted sandwiches. If you're looking for further inspiration to turn your leftovers into yummy recipes click here.
Easy Ham and Parmesan Baked Risotto
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 5 cups boiling stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 tbl organic butter
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbl chopped chives
- Leftover Christmas Ham ~200g chopped (or more or less if you like)
- Rinse rice in cool water until water is clear
- Combine rice, stock and butter in large ovenproof dish with tight-fitting lid
- Bake in hot oven, 200°C, for 30 minutes or until rice is tender
- Cut ham slices into preferred size and shape (eg 1cm squares)
- Once rice is cooked, stir through Parmesan cheese, chives and ham.
Note: if you have fresh mushrooms on hand, you could also add 3 cups sliced mushrooms to the ovenproof dish and cook with the rice.
About the Author: Laura Trotta (BEng (Enviro), MSc (Enviro Chem)) is an eco mum, environmental engineer and founder of Sustainababy. She lives in regional South Australia with her husband Paul and son Matthew.